Wednesday 3 June 2015

Research on Orange, Lemon and Lavender

I don't know much about the three fragrances that I chose to use other than what they smell, look and taste like. I've never seen an orange or lemon tree in real life and I find that other than a circular shape and the colour orange is not much different from a lemon, visually I mean. I need to find out what their blossoms look like as they both grow on trees too.

Orange


As far as I know, Oranges originated in Southeast Asia, but today Brazil grows 1/3 of all the world's oranges and California and Florida are also large producers of oranges in the US. Oranges generally have 10 or more segments which can have seeds or pips inside them.

white orange blossom
orange blossom





Parts of a flower


Orange blossoms are fragrant, bloom in clusters of 1-6 and are perfect with 5 petals and sepals. The petals are linear, sometimes can curve lengthwise and are thick. Sepals fuse at the base to form a small cup. Stamens on the blossom number from 20 - 25 and are arranged in a tight, columnar whorl around the gynoecium.

Lemon



Lemons are native to Asia, Northeast India, North Burma and China. The top 5 producers of lemons in the world includes; China, India, Mexico, Argentina and Brazil.

Lemon Blossom
Lemon Blossom
Lemon Blossom
Lemon Blossom showing tinted base
          
Lemon Blossoms are a white flower that have 5 fragrant petals with a yellow tinted base.









Lavender


English Lavender
English Lavender
French Lavender
Spanish Lavender
Spanish Lavender









Lavender originated in the Coastal Hills of the Mediterranean. Over 115 varieties of lavender are cultivated around the world. Lavender is primarily derived from basic English, French or Spanish Lavender.

So my attempt of research to help me come up with other ideas to separate orange and lemon from each other has failed. The flowers are pretty much the same for both fruits. Back to the drawing board I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment