Wednesday 24 June 2015

Creative Identity Overall

Despite wanting to use low tech and time consuming methods such as paper cutting to create my final outcomes I have managed to create my exhibition pieces within schedule, meeting the deadline. I do feel however that I focused too much on the products and not enough on the packaging of the products. I think this is partly why I moved towards creating a point of sale poster/sign because I was more focused on the branding rather than both branding and packaging. I think that if I had decided on what my exhibition was going to be and started to work on it maybe a month or more before I did originally, then I would have managed to have experimented some more with paper cuts. I also think that I would have been able to manage my time a bit better too as I feel that most of my attention was focused more on this project and less on other that may have needed more work done to them.

I chose to hand cut my point of sale posters because it is more personal and I can just sit down and focus purely on the cutting of the paper/card. I don't have to wait for computers or software to work, I have less errors this way too, or less errors that I can blame other things or people for. If I make a cut where I shouldn't have or nick the paper in just the wrong place then it is only me who gets told off.. by me.. I have more control this way, I suppose that is more clear, more control.

I chose to use my square card for my final product because for one part it was what I readily available at home, I didn't have to go out and buy new card as it had been sat unused for at least a year and a half. The other part of it is that I did not want to use a normal paper size, I didn't want to create something that was small like A5, or even A4 with a trim on the portrait height of it. My original plan was to have originally used A4 paper, trim it, then cut it, but I am glad that I used a better quality card-stock as well as a better quality and sharper craft blade.

In the future I will continue to use paper cutting as my most chosen technique to create work. If I could do more to this project then I would look at redoing the labels on the candles, as well as creating hanging tags that could go around the necks of the candle jars as my exhibition showed me that my larger but short candles don't show the logo or what the scent is very well unless you look at them from above or below if the shelf happens to be glass but again these are unrealistic because you would either have to be a child or just very short to look under a shelf, or incredibly tall to be able to read the tops of the candles. Having hanging name tags would solve this issue rather easily. More focus on the packaging, such as a box to put the candles in. Would the box have a pattern cut into it or would it just have a coloured print on the box. Maybe that will be answered in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment