Tuesday 31 March 2015

Beeswax refining




The top two images are of some beeswax that I had already filtered through a muslin cloth but had failed to filter out enough of the bits I didn't want in the wax. It was broken up into chunks to help in all melt quicker.

The image to the left is a clearer photograph taken on my phone showing what the beeswax looks like before it has melted and been filtered.

Once all the raw beeswax has melted you get a waterproof container, such as a paper juice carton, and you create a filter from a fine mesh material such as a muslin cloth that you pour the melted wax through into the juice carton. The paper carton is useful because unless you have a mold that you can easily remove the wax from the carton can be cut and then ripped to get out all of the wax. When I first tried refining some of the raw beeswax I didn't realise that below the hardened wax that is on the surface is liquid. I learnt quickly though and every time I cut open a carton I would avoid mess by opening it in the sink.

This photograph to the left is what the beeswax looked like in the juice carton before I cut it out of the box.
The last image you can just about see the liquid that is below the hardened wax flowing over the wax.



































No comments:

Post a Comment